FAI & Kubuntu

Juraj Holtak - ProAut s.r.o. juraj at proaut.org
Wed Feb 22 13:35:21 CET 2006

So as I can see, there is some ongoing work to ubuntu. My problem is,
that my users are bound to KDE because they were trained for it and to
go thru all that again with GNOME is not an option. So Ubuntu is a "no
go" to me.

I`m very little familiar with Ubuntu and not at all with Kubuntu and how
much it differs from Ubuntu. I would like to hear everybodys meaning, on
how much difference (looking from FAI view) does it make to install
Ubuntu or Kubuntu using FAI. My sixth sense says, that that shouldn`t be
a big problem, but I can be wrong...

The next thing I need more information on after reading the Wiki, is the
trouble with creating a FAI cd. Does this mean the full-blown FAI cd
with all packages on it or the boot disk which actually boots and
initiates the net install? If its the second, than it might be a
problem, because some (about 20%) machines here have broken bios and do
not boot over a network. There is no more support from the manufacturer
and no bios update. The hardware diversity here is the reason, why we
actually prefer FAI over a image + some resons bound to networks and
home-directories and local printers, not every machine has the same
configuration.

Thank you for your answer,
juraj