Building VServers with FAI

Gebhardt Thomas gebhardt at hrz.uni-marburg.de
Thu Dec 7 14:17:33 CET 2006

> I just use the normal debootstrap build method for vservers and then run
> fai softupdate on top. Works great :)

yes, it works fine for me, too.

How do you manage to nfs-mount the fai config space into the namespace of
the vserver for softupdates? (Or do you use CVS/SVN for configuration?)

I could think of various solutions, each having a specific downside:

* mount from within the host just before the softupdate
  (needs coordination between mount/umont on the host and
  softupdate on the guest)

* permanently mount into vserver by /etc/vservers/<myvserver>/fstab
 ( many permanent hard/soft mounts, potential problems when
  nfs client/server is down or during network/power outage)

* Allow vserver to nfs-mount (too much capabilities for vserver)

* auto-mount into vserver by host (never tried auto-mounting in vservers,
  doubt, if it will work)

* ...

How do you manage that?

Cheers, Thomas