fcopy feature request: report if a file was copied

Michael Tautschnig tautschn at model.in.tum.de
Thu Dec 7 11:33:43 CET 2006

[...]
> yes but imagine
>     fcopy -ir /etc/postfix/
> and i need a postinst script with
>    /etc/init.d/postfix reload
>
> i have to place postinst inside
>   /etc/postfix/main.cf/BASE/postinst
>   /etc/postfix/master.cf/BASE/postinst
> right?

Nearly correct - there is no such directory as BASE, but rather you'll have the
files
/etc/postfix/main.cf/BASE and /etc/postfix/main.cf/postinst

> and if i did change master.conf and main.conf postinst would be called two
> times. and what if i have 30 files or more in /etc/postfix like virtual
> tables ...

Would you really change all of them at once? And furthermore, in case of postfix
there is usually no need for reloading it, it will at most be a call to postmap
(which should definitely go into the postinst script).

[...]

Even though I do see (very few) applications for such a code, the same
objections as for your -k,--keep-permissions apply here: It might add quit a bit
of code, which may cause quite a lot of trouble.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hope for a lot more of such ideas, but they must be
discussed thoroughly, even more so when touching mission-critical tools such as
fcopy.

Best,