another fcopy feature request -k --keep-modes

Janning Vygen vygen at planwerk6.de
Wed Dec 6 17:04:58 CET 2006

sometimes i don't care about the owner:group:modes:timestamp
example /etc/ssh/sshd_config. I just want to copy my content
to /etc/ssh/sshd_config, but owner, group and modes should be kept.

Of course i can add -m but then i need to know the correct permissions and
ownership of each file i want to change.

I just want to copy a new file and KEEP the original file modes and
ownerships. with fcopy you have -m -M or modes from source file.

but It would be nice to have

  -k  --keep-modes[=owner,group,modes,time]
  to keep all or named file stats from the original file

i can write a patch if it sounds reasonable.

kind regards
Janning