Trouble With Brand New NFSROOT

Toni Mueller support-fai at oeko.net
Tue Aug 22 16:17:58 CEST 2006

Hello,

I'm fiddling with my installserver and FAI 2.10.5. Running fai-setup
yields:

... some stuff deleted ...
Kernel 2.6.16-fai-kernels installed into the nfsroot.
DHCP environment prepared. If you want to use it, you have to enable the dhcpd and the tftp-hpa daemon.
Removing `local diversion of /sbin/discover-modprobe to /sbin/discover-modprobe.distrib'
make-fai-nfsroot finished properly.
FAI setup finished.

So, as per docs, this should be ok now.

I defined some classes etc which gave me non-working client installs
lacking a kernel with the previous nfsroot (before running fai-setup
anew). But now, I get this instead immediately after running fai-setup
and booting the install client:

faiserver# faimond
FAI monitoring daemon started on port 4711
client check
client TASKEND confdir 0
client TASKBEGIN setup
client TASKEND setup 0
client TASKBEGIN defclass
client TASKEND defclass 0
client TASKBEGIN defvar
client TASKEND defvar 0
client TASKBEGIN action
client TASKBEGIN install
client TASKBEGIN partition
client TASKERROR partition 21

Looking at the saved logs, I find tons of these:

ipv6: version magic '2.6.16-fai-kernels SMP 386 gcc-4.1' should be '2.6.16-fai-kernels SMP 386 gcc-4.0'

with varying module names in dmesg.log, and this

FATAL: Error inserting 3w_xxxx (/lib/modules/2.6.16-fai-kernels/kernel/drivers/scsi/3w-xxxx.ko): Invalid module format

in fai.log. So I end up having no disk in that machine.

Do you have any quick tips on how to solve this?

TIA!

Best,
--Toni++