request for comments on Getting_fai-logs_a_better_way

Ingo Wichmann iw at linuxhotel.de
Tue Aug 1 13:40:45 CEST 2006

Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > I've put up an acticle about how to get logfiles to the faiserver in the fai-wiki:
>     > http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/Getting_fai-logs_a_better_way
> I've added some comments on it there.
>
> BTW. I should be very easy to use syslog instead of faimond. Using
> syslog for the short messages which are currently received by faimond
> makes sense, but IMO it's not useful to use syslog for all the long
> log files inside fai.

For the way fai works now, i agree. As i pointed out on
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-fai-devel@rrz.uni-koeln.de/msg00289.html
i'd like to see a feature, that allows to qualify log messages with
debug levels.

For example, i think the long logs from the task instsoft are not
perfekt. It would be nice if you could define what to log. One
proposition would be to have four functions or variables available:
debug_level_fai
debug_level_action
debug_level_task
debug_level_skript

If you - in a hook - set debug_level_task to info ( 6 ) then you only
get e.g. the lists of packages where the installation failed.

In such a scenario you could control what to log on a per
skript/task/action/global basis on the install client. And again on the
installserver, via syslog / syslog-ng configuration. And it would allow
easier integration of system-monitoring software like nagios.

Must important: there must be somebody willing to implement it ...

regards,

Ingo