Problems using fai to install Debian on a multihomed client

David Riddle driddle at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 03:39:22 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am trying to use fai to install Debian on a computer with three
Ethernet cards. I am using it as a firewall. The fai-client will
install fine as long as it has access to both an Internet gateway and
the fai-server on the same subnet/Ethernet card.

The problem is that I would like for the fai-server to be on one
subnet/Ethernet card and the Internet on another Ethernet card.
Unfortunately I have not had any success getting fai to setup the
other Ethernet cards with dhcp or otherwise. It will only setup the
Ethernet card that is attached to the fai-server.

I tried manually running ifconfig, ifup, and dhclient on the other
Ethernet boards while fai was running on the client. I was able to get
dhclient to obtain an address from the dhcp server at my isp but
dhclient will not setup ifconfig or the routes. I can do that manually
which I did and that does work but that should not be necessary. I
looked at the scripts in /etc/dhcp3 on the nfsroot and noticed that
the fai developers have changed the dhcp scripts. I think this is why
dhclient is not working.

Do you have any suggestions for setting up the other Ethernet boards
so the fai-client can both access the Internet and the fai-server?
Note I did setup a partial fai-mirror but for some reason the
fai-client seems to need additional packages to work.

Thanks for any help,

David Riddle