No root password set after upgrade to 2.8.4

Juraj Holtak juraj at proaut.org
Wed Sep 28 10:27:24 CEST 2005

Hi,

after a upgrade to fai 2.8.4 the root password is not set on my clients.

In DEFAULT/S20 (cfegine skript based on the simple example skript), the
line in /etc/passwd should be replaced, but it is not because when i
look into that file, there is no root password set

next possible source of problems could be the passwd/shadow debconf
thingy

do I have to do the replace in /etc/shadow or /etc/passwd ???

among all other little problems and changes in 2.8.4, this one is
release critical, as it allows a regular user to su with an empty
password and you know what that means to nfs mounted homedirs...

best regards,
juraj