FAI working like RIS?

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Tue Sep 27 20:26:44 CEST 2005

[...]
> OK, so my fault for being stupid, but was wondering whether there is any
> way to eliminate this stage of manual scripting to get the machine
> configured by FAI - for example, with RIS on Windows, you use RIS to
> install the basic OS on a test machine, make your config changes and
> install packages, and then run a tool that checks the differences
> between the basic install and your customisations, and makes that new
> 'image' available on the RIS server.
>
> Is there anything available that will make FAI work like this?
Not immediately - but there is, e.g., a package called checkinstall -
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/checkinstall - unfortunatly it's
currently not in testing...

But to answer your question in more detail, you should probably ask yourself
(and tell us :-) ) a few things:

- What do you change exactly?
- Do you really need all those scripts (there might be some things in FAI and/or
  in Debian you are not aware of) - in other words, what is the job of those
  scripts?
- Adding/removing packages can easily be tracked using "dpkg --get-selections" and "diff"

Well, if you'd be so kind and provide some answers to these questions, we might
be able to solve most of your problems together and/or improve FAI - Thanks!

Regards,