fai & nfsroot

Cedric BRINER work at infomaniak.ch
Fri Sep 16 16:10:01 CEST 2005

hi,

I'm trying to install a toshiba qosmio F20. Sadly the debian-installer doesn't support the scsi driver. So I thought of installing fai to just install a minimal debian on thus machine.

I've do all the prerequesite installation of fai (conf, dhcp, tftp) and use the linux-kernel provided in fai-kernel (KERNELPACKAGE=/usr/lib/fai/kernel/kernel-image-2.6.8-fai_1_i386.deb). The program was doing well: I get the FAI banner in red, but the kernel did not recognize my HD.

so let's go to do my own first debian kernel
I've never really configure a new kernel. So I thought to take the last from debian:
> apt-cache search linux 2.6.12 source
linux-patch-debian-2.6.12 - Debian patches to version 2.6.12 of the Linux kernel
linux-source-2.6.12 - Linux kernel source for version 2.6.12 with Debian patches

So I took the linux-source-2.6.12 (wishing that I will already comporte all the linux-patch-debian on it)
I configure it:
by adding the NFS_ROOT, IP_PNP_DHCP, BLK_DEV_INITRD as built-in

make-kpkg --rootcmd fakeroot -rev toshiba1 kernel_image

change the make-fai-nfsroot.conf

invoke make-fai-nfsroot

fai-chboot -IFv <toshiba hostname>

and the reboot the machine.

now I'm getting an:
swsusp: Suspend Partition has wrong singature?
VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or unknown-block(0,255)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,255)
 <7>ieee1394: Host added: ID:.....

any idea of what I'm doing wrong ?

Ced.

--