FAI from disk partition

Tue Sep 13 16:19:48 CEST 2005

    > Hi
    > I have dedicated root server which I would like to setup using FAI. As I
    >   can't boot the machine over the network or from CDROM/Floppy, the
    > only possibility is to boot from disk. My plan is to install the nfsroot
    > and configuration space into a separate disk partition from which the
    > machine can be booted and installed. Does FAI support this?
Very nice idea. In the past there was the clas FAI_BOOTPART, which
does  booting the fai install kernel from a disk partition. But since
this kernel also mounts a nfsroot, this is not what you want. So you
need to modify the kernel parameters, that the kernel gets its root
file system from another partition.

Your idea should be possible to implement but it needs some work to
get it run. Maybe some ideas from fai-cd may help, since it also gets
everything from a media without using the network.

It would be perfect if your provider could boot your root server
from an virtual cd image. Then fai-cd would be the best choice.