Problem in finding hard disks

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Thu Nov 17 17:04:18 CET 2005

> Hi, I tried to substitute the kernel-related line in /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf with the following:
>
> KERNELPACKAGE=/usr/lib/fai/kernel/kernel-image-2.6.10power-edge-2850-750_10.00.Custom_i386.deb
>
> by using your kernel. I obtain a different output but it halts before starting FAI installation with the following error messages:
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or unknown-block(0,255)
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,255)

Did you forget to add root-NFS to your kernel-config? There was some discussion
about a similar problem some month ago, but I don't remember the details...

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-fai@rrz.uni-koeln.de/msg03285.html

Well - you might need to contact Cedric Birner and ask him, how he finally
solved the problem... You could send me your kernel's .config in private mail
and I'd compare it to mine.

HTH,