problem in fai-setup

Lorenzo Campo lorenzo118 at interfree.it
Tue Nov 8 16:52:20 CET 2005

Hi,
I'm trying to use FAI to install a small beowulf cluster (5 nodes). I
installed Sarge on the master and I installed all FAI packages (fai,
fai-kernels and all suggested packages). I used mkdebmirror to create a
local mirror of sarge, but when I try to run fai-setup -v I have following
errors (I tried many times):

Account $LOGUSER=tom2 already exists.
Make sure that all install clients can
log into this account without a password.
/home/tom2/.ssh/known_hosts remained unchanged.
/home/tom2/.ssh/authorized_keys created.
User account tom2 set up.
Using configuration files from directory /etc/fai
Creating FAI nfsroot can take a long time and will
need more than 250MB disk space in /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot.
/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot already exists. Removing /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
Creating nfsroot for sarge using debootstrap
Calling debootstrap sarge /usr/lib/fai/nfsroot
<http://nodo00:/files/scratch/debmirror/debian/.temp/>http://nodo00:/files/scratch/debmirror/debian/.temp/

I: Retrieving debootstrap.invalid_dists_sarge_Release
E: Failed getting release file
<http://nodo00:/files/scratch/debmirror/debian/.temp/dists/sarge/Release>http://nodo00:/files/scratch/debmirror/debian/.temp/dists/sarge/Release

chroot: cannot run command `apt-get': No such file or directory

I put
FAI_DEBMIRROR=$mirrorhost:/files/scratch/debmirror/debian
in fai.conf and
FAI_DEBOOTSTRAP="sarge
<http://$mirrorhost:/files/scratch/debmirror/debian/.temp/%22>http://$mirrorhost:/files/scratch/debmirror/debian/.temp/"

in make-fai-nfsroot.conf (just to try to find the file Release, but I tried
also
<http://$mirrorhost:/files/scratch/debmirror/debian%29.>http://$mirrorhost:/files/scratch/debmirror/debian).
Until now I didn't even tried to boot other nodes, because I have this
error in the setup. What could be the cause?
To avoid using the local mirror, I tried to use directly the original
remote mirror (that is ftp://freedom.dicea.unifi.it) in both fai.conf and
make-fai-nfsroot.conf. In this case everything is ok until it tries the
mounting on the local directory mnt2 when it tries for a while and then
exits unsuccessfully.
Any idea?
Thank you
Lorenzo Campo