multiple install servers; memdisk

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Thu May 26 09:02:12 CEST 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 06:24:49PM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:
>     > That's a good idea, but is there any easy way to get clients to
>     > automatically load-balance between more than one Debian mirror? Or do
>     > you have to manually change the sources.list files for the clients you
>     > wish to use a different mirror?
> Prepare two versions of the sources.list files and name them for
> eg. MIRROR0 and MIRROR1.

If apt-get can do load-balancing on its own, that would be overkill

  Create a hook (for task updatebase) which
> uses fcopy for copying one of these files to the new system before
> installing sofware packages. Add a small script to /fai/class which
> defines the class MIRROR0 or MIRROR1 depending on ip-address modulo 2.

We did this before, having kickstart servers for odd/even IP addresses.
Load-balancing, yes. Fault-tolerance, no.

> Please, post these little scripts to this mailling list :-)

Sure.

Got some other nice patches - faimond adding time stamps, setup_harddisks
not forcing xfs formatting. And there's AlFAI waiting for an upgrade...

Steffen