fai 2.8.3 skipping packages?

Wed May 25 17:37:34 CEST 2005

    > BTW, it's very confusing that the fai/download/ area is kept so clean -
    > it's almost impossible to find the previous version, let alone diffs.
    > (There is one from 2.8 to 2.8.2...)
You can download old versions from

http://snapshot.debian.net/
or from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fai

    >> Now we often have the situation, when installing a
    >> new FAI version, that it's very useful (or even needed?) to merge
    >> changes in the FAI example configs into your own, customized FAI config

    >> space in /usr/local/share/fai, which can, in case you really edit the
    >> example config's scripts and things like that, be a nice little hell.
You can always do
 diff -r /usr/share/doc/fai/examples/simple /usr/local/share/fai

Installing a new FAI version does not overwrite your config space at
all. So you can use your old config space with newer fai version. This
does not always apply to file in /etc/fai but I try to keep changes in
those files to a minimum. But unfortunately we had to change things
there in the last few versions of fai. I'm sorry for that.

    > - and it's quite a mess to patch the patch files with almost every
    > new release (install package, overwrite files, read them, check with
    > the patches, run patch --dry-run, patch the patch, dry-run again...)
Use dpkg-divert when overwriting a file in fai to keep you versions
when upgrading.

You're right that we've change some major things in /etc/fai files
several time in the last versions of fai. But with fai 2.8.4 beeing in
sdarge we will have a stable fai release for at least 3 years ;-)