FAI and portmapper problems

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Mon May 23 19:37:43 CEST 2005

> Hi,
>
> I am currently experimenting with FAI for sarge. Since (approx.) last
> week I ran into problems when installing specific packages:
>
> Every time a package postinst tries to add a user or a group, there
> comes the error message
> "rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error -
> Connection timed out"
>
> It looks like the portmapper on the installation client is not running
> as it should -- when using addgroup, there is a process
> "/usr/bin/rpcinfo -p", and this one seems to hang.

Just a few questions:

- Which kernel are you using for your setup?
- Can you find anything unusual in the output of dmesg?
- Could you find out, where rpcinfo -p is invoked? What happens, if you run it
  yourself?
- Could you test an installation using the example-configuration (simple)
  provided with FAI?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

PS.: Judging from your output of strace, portmap starts up fine - it just forks ...