questions: fcopy, how to encrypt password, network config

Dan B. Phung phung at cs.columbia.edu
Fri May 13 18:07:13 CEST 2005

I was able to get fai to install with the 2.6.8 kernel (on client), but
for some reason it's not online (I had assumed it would have used dhcp).
So in trying to configure fai more, I have some general questions that I
wasn't able to find quickly on google :)

- I see fcopy used with only the source files specified.  e.g.
  fcopy /etc/host.conf /etc/nsswitch.conf /etc/hosts.equiv.

Is the base dir the nfsroot directory?  ie. if I have nfsroot=/diskless_ro
then it's copying from /diskless_ro/etc/host.conf?

- this question might be related to the previous one, but where is the
/etc/network/interfaces that's used?  I want to make sure that dhcp is
used.

- in the FAIBASE.var class, I see the rootpw='56hNVqht51tzc' as default.
How can I easily generate this password?

- I need to specify kernel boot parameters for the installed client
kernel, e.g. I have in my other computers this grub stuff:

title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-1-386
root            (hd0,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-1-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro
console=ttyS1,19200 console=tty0
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-1-386
savedefault
boot

The kernel installed from aptitude automatically generates it's own
config, so how do I add this?

...I think that's enough questions for now...

cheers,
dan