Fwd: Re: aptitude install amd64-kernel

Holger Levsen fai at layer-acht.org
Mon May 2 11:34:45 CEST 2005

Hi,

forwarded, as Daniel has no write access to this list. I'll now file a bug
against quagga.

regards,
	Holger

Subject: Re: aptitude install amd64-kernel
Date: Sunday 01 May 2005 15:35
From: Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org>
To: Holger Levsen <fai at layer-acht.org>
Cc: linux-fai at uni-koeln.de

On Sunday 01 May 2005 04:55 am, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Daniel, hi list,
>
> should I file a bug against aptitude ? (I have not checked all the 115
> normal bugs against aptitude...) IMHO this is serious, as it installs a
> non-working kernel (a amd64-kernel on i386), which renders the system
> unusable.

  This is a bug in quagga, which violates policy 7.4 (last paragraph) by not
listing a real package first in its dependency on kernel-image.  It doesn't
show up in apt-get because apt-get doesn't honor Recommends.

> Is there a aptitude mailing-list or such ? Or only debian-devel or rather
> debian-dpkg ?

  There actually is -- aptitude-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org -- although
 it's currently mainly used to spam me and the single other subcriber with
 SVN commit notices.  I'll take this as a reminder to set up an aptitude-svn
 list. :)

  Daniel

--
/------------------- Daniel Burrows <dburrows at debian.org> ------------------\

|                 Microsoft, n:                                             |
|                   A company that makes pretty good mice.                  |

\------ Listener-supported public radio -- NPR -- http://www.npr.org -------/