AMD64 install issues

Christopher Huhn C.Huhn at gsi.de
Wed Mar 16 14:19:12 CET 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to install a Xeon-EM64T box with FAI using the files from
http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/download/amd64/ . Unforunately
I'm totally new to FAI ...

There are several issues I ran into:

The sources in /etc/apt/sources.list seem to be invalid by now. I used
"deb http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/pure64 sarge main contrib
non-free" instead, but "apt-get upgrade" fails due to libc6 trying to
overwrite files owned by base-files (See
http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2004/12/msg00315.html ).

I managed to fix that by hand (dpkg -r --force-all base-files is not a
good idea though ...), but grub is inoperable as well (seems like "IA32
Emulation" is required in the kernel, see
http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2004/05/msg00116.html ).

The fai server is plain i386 at the moment, but it looks like
   1. I have to build a custom NFS root (on a running AMD64)
   2. I have to recompile my own kernel or use lilo instead of grub

Anyhow the nfsroot and kernel deb provided seem to be completly useless
at the moment (or am I missing something?)

Regards,
	Christopher

P.S.: Is it possible to install a amd64 system from a 32-bit
installation NFS root?

--
Christopher Huhn, GSI Darmstadt
"We apologize for the inconveniences"