update FAI-installed system

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Mon Mar 14 10:00:35 CET 2005

Hi,

although re-installation in most cases might be suitable (and ensures that
all computers will get the same software versions as long as the mirror is
frozen), from time to time I have to do upgrades, in particular on
solitary machines.
If I only call "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" almost no questions would
be asked, and I'm afraid that configuration files that have been adjusted
by a FAI script/* would also be silently overwritten.
Is that true (or am I just paranoid)?
How can I avoid overwriting config files changed by me without asking?
How are others handling this situation?

Cheers,
 Steffen

--