ubuntu hoary FAI packages

Henning Sprang henning_fai at gmx.de
Fri Mar 11 20:52:42 CET 2005

Hy,
here a pointer to my patched version 2.6.6ubuntu1 FAI packages for
ubuntu hoary (not sure if they'll make it into hoary):

http://www.sprang.de/download/ubuntu/

I simply as in my warty patches changed everything so FAI installs
ubuntu hoary (say testing/unstable) by default. As such, there is not
much to take to the debian upstream.

It's an interesting question how we could really incorporate it into FAI
so that we can have debian/sarge, ubuntu hoary and maybe other distros
nicely next to each other witth one
FAI installation. Holger Levsen (i believe he was it) came up with the
idea to have an /etc/fai-<DISTNAME> for each, and something like
/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot-<DISTNAME> for each, /usr/local/share/fai can be
shared or now.  That works somehow, but I am not sure if this is the
best idea (sorry Holger, just a feeling that it must be better), e.g.
I'd like every FAI config in /etc/fai.

Another thing i saw is that the pxe-boot kernels get overwritten when
running make-fai-nfsroot, which I probably don't want when willing to
run multiple nfsroots. I didn't look at all how pxe boot kernels make it
into /boot/fai, this might not be hard to solve.

It's a question if one really needs an extra nfsroot for every
distribution, must it be always the same distri as the one that gets
installed? I didn't try that, but could imagine just having multiple
base.tar.gz's for each distribution. When i go for installing crux linux
I can imagine that I anyway wanna have a sarge nfsroot to have the tools
there like cfengine and other things...

Henning