Muenchhausen-like install, running out of ideas

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Wed Jun 8 13:10:06 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 11:22:43AM +0200, Richard Wonka wrote:

> How about nfs-mounting the debmirror instead of setting up an apache?

I've been thinking about this some time ago, but decided to have a single
access path only. The server will not only provide the mirror for the
cluster, but also for everyone in the institute who feels like installing
Debian :-)

> that way also you don't have your clients download and cache all the packages, whis would be a waste of disk-space in Your case, right?

Transferring all the files to local disk looks like a performance penalty
first - but OTOH the server wouldn't be too happy to serve them for 180
clients either. If I can get a full installation for all 180 nodes within
less than 10--15 minutes, I won't worry about waste.
Local /var is big enough. And FAI apparently does apt-get clean when it's
ready...

Of course, your mileage may vary, as always.

Cheers,
 Steffen