set hostname from kernel cmdline

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Thu Jul 7 14:42:37 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 01:38:20PM +0200, doof wrote:
> Hi
>
> I try to set hostname from kernel cmdline using dhcp.
> For information, i dont have dns. dhcp give me a @ip and fai set the hostname to
> @IP. (HOSTNAME=192)

Looks like your DHCP server returns no proper hostname ...
Mine has
	...; option host-name "xyz"; ...
and together with the option domain-name setting, assigning a proper hostname
is no issue at all...

> Is-it possible to add this feature in fai ?

Don't fix what isn't broken... in worst cases, it *might* make sense to
convert the dotted ip notation into something like dhcp-192-168-100-250
though (if first character of $HOSTNAME is a digit, parse out the numeric
part and tr '.' '-' ... two lines of perl)

Steffen