quick V40z question

Oliver Osburg osburg at coling.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Jan 27 12:45:29 CET 2005

On Mi, Jan 26, 2005 at 06:23:53 +0100, Thomas Lange wrote:

>     > While the V20z do come up and boot fine, the V40z complains about being unable to
>     > get the nfs portnumber.
> Does this mean, that the V40z can't mount the nfsroot, or is the
> problem at a later stage? Maybe the kernel maps the ethernet devices
> in another order, so the nfs request is sent to the other nic.
Hi all,

The kernel get's loaded and started just fine. The NICs are detected and
configured fine, according the kernel log. Strange: using etherreal, I
can detect no NFS traffic from the box, though the error message is:
"cannot get rpc port from server".

I read the docs, the V40z and the V20z actually do have the same nics,
both use the tg3 kernel module. But there must be some
Hardware-difference which keeps the V40z from booting.

There will be no news from me regarding this until next week, 'cos the
cluster has to work now (other OS) Il poste the outcome to this list.

But anyone with clue about the VX0z series: what could be the
difference? Right know I would do wild guessings in the kernel-config, I
really stuck.

Kind regards,
Oliver Osburg
--
- Oliver Osburg - System Architect JULIE Group Jena University -
 email: o.osburg at uni-jena.de        phone: +493641 9 44 324