dhcp doesn't seem to set the hostname on a client

Manuel Kiessling manuel at kiessling.net
Wed Jan 26 10:31:00 CET 2005

Hi,

Michael Tautschnig schrieb:
> Hi!
>
> IMHO this is a recurring issue (Thomas, could you put a note in the FAI
> docs?) - and I'm not really sure, how I solved it ... What could matter
> is the version of the dhcp-client you are using - is it dhcp-client or
> dhcp3-client? Using the latter works for me ...

Mh... there isn't any user-space dhcp client used, or is it? It is the
dhcp "client" which is compiled into the kernel. Or is a dhcp-client
used after the kernel booted? I will check that...

Anyway, appending

ip=::::demohost:eth0:dhcp

makes things look much better - he grabs everything via dhcp, except the
hostname. The class scripts register that hostname, although
/tmp/fai/boot.log still doesn't show a HOSTNAME (something which
cfengine doesn't like too much as far as I can see).

--
  Manuel