fai trick: fix weird hostname

Holger Schurig hs4233 at mail.mn-solutions.de
Mon Jan 24 14:03:32 CET 2005

> hi holger,
>
> Did I get you right - you cannot modify die DHCP server's
> configuration?
> host hostnameXYZ {
>      hardware ethernet 00:02:B3:ff:ff:ff;
>      fixed-address 192.168.X,Y;
> }

No, you didn't get me right. I don't WANT to assign hostnames. Those IP
addresses are from a dynamic range with a netmask 255.255.0.0 and I don't
want to assign 65536 different hostnames.

The IP address is used today to create a server that is shipped tomorrow.
And in a week the IP address is used to repair a handheld data entry
system. And next month it might be used for another thing.

So having hostnames, even artifical ones like ip16-145.mn-solutions.de is
not what I want.

Instead, for me it's ok if all 16 servers I'm configuring get the same
hostname. They are installed into some customers network and they don't
care about hostname or, if they care, assign their own name.