Installation hangs at "Preconfiguring packages .. Fetched..."

Heiko Zang mixtlis at gmx.de
Thu Jan 20 13:47:45 CET 2005

Hi!

>> Tried that ($ROOTCMD apt-get install apache apache-common php4>
>> /dev/null) but System hangs as well.
>>
> No, that's wrong. Try this one, do not redirect stdout, but stdin

Ops, sure!

>  $ROOTCMD apt-get install apache apache-common php4 < /dev/null

I tried that but postconfigure of the php4 package asks if one wants to run
the apacheconfig script and so the installation hangs.
Even adding a '--force-yes' or a '--assume-yes' option for apt-get had no
effect.

So unfortunately a pipe or a redirect of stdin don`t work.

I think the main issue is why a parent process and a same child process  are
started if there is a command like: "yes | apt-get install ...".

What could be the reason why a 2.6 kernel is causing the trouble?

regards,

Heiko Zang