Installation hangs at "Preconfiguring packages .. Fetched..."

mixtlis at gmx.de mixtlis at gmx.de
Tue Jan 18 10:48:50 CET 2005

Hi!

In our company we are using fai for quite a while to setup woody boxes. Now
the fai installation configuration has to be adapted to new hardware. The
hardware is Dell Poweredge750 with SATA Drives.

On the FAI-Server is the fai-2.5.4 package installed. The kernel is a
customized 2.6.7.

The installation starts und runs with no errors up to the point where  FAI
starts my own script under the scripts directory. In this script a 'apt-get
update' is executed and a following 'apt-get install \<packagename\>'
retrieves the package but then stops with  "Preconfiguring packages ..
Fetched 5515kB in 3s (1713kB/s)"

Also another apt-get process is started by the first one. Even when trying
to kill the child-process both processes are killed.

Using a 2.4.26 kernel works fine.

So the symptoms are the same as described in this thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-fai@rrz.uni-koeln.de/msg01735.html

So I patched the create_ramdisk file with the suggested tweak.
The create_ramdisk looks like this:
-------------------------
.
.
mount -t shm shm /tmp || mount -t tmpfs none /tmp ||
 {
    ramdevice=/dev/ram0
    mke2fs -q -m 0 $ramdevice && echo "ramdisk $ramdevice created"
    mount -n $ramdevice /tmp
}

.
.
-------------------------

A ramdisk is being created:
#: mount  \on the client\
/dev/ram0  on /tmp  type  ext2  (rw)
---------------

So I would say that the first two mount commands in the create_ramdisk file
don`t work, but the third command does.

Although the tmpfs is compiled in the kernel.

CONFIG_TMPFS=y

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096
CONFIG_RAMFS=y
CONFIG_CRAMFS=y

I`m stuck now and don´t have a clue how to fix the issue.
Maybe some of you guys have any hints.

regards,

Heiko