Passwords in FAI (Was: Re: Copy directories with fcopy)

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Thu Jan 13 16:15:56 CET 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 02:23:37PM +0200, Markus TXrnqvist wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 07:05:26PM +0100, Henning Glawe wrote:
> >1) copying passwd is not a good idea: it contains many dynamic entries
> >   generated by packages (and thus changes quite often)
>
> Well, in this case it's pretty much a good idea :)
> I'd like to company sysadmin team to be able to log in, if they
> change their passwords, it's not an installation problem.

What about having a locked root password and installing your sysadmin
public ssh keys instead?

> Customer accounts are added manually afterwards in either case.

On the YP server, we run a script to extract user accounts (strip
everything with UID below 1000) and upload this to FAIconfig CVS
periodically...

It's still work in progress, but it's quite close:
http://pandora.aei.mpg.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/faiconfig/
Of course, hints are welcome...

Cheers,
 Steffen