devices missing?

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Tue Jan 4 14:11:24 CET 2005

Hi,

talking to myself again...

> > /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: device /dev/hda1 is not a block device
> So everything boils down how to avoid the /tmp/target/.dev tree being
> mounted... who knows how?

Tracked this down (getting this to run is not my major task, so I only
manage to devote a few minutes per attempt to it). The package
responsible is udev, which is in the dependencies for hal, which is
required by gnome-volume-manager, which is included by gnome.

udev underwent two changes in the corresponding time range (Dec 21:
fine, now: :-(((), and in fact the previous installation used version
0.048-2, now I have 0.050-2. In the Debian changelog, there are some
indications that something important-for-FAI has changed.
Trying to restart /etc/init.d/udev in the chrooted environment would not
help unless /proc has been mounted before (this seems to be the
difference). In a "normal" context this would of course be the case; but
in the FAI case I cannot see where to mount /tmp/target/proc ...
(I can't do this using chroot mount /proc in a hook just after mountdisks
since there is no chroot environment -namely sh- avaliable yet. I could try
and mount /tmp/target/proc before/after mountdisks - why doesn't
mountdisks do that although there's a /proc entry in /tmp/fai/fstab ?)

Still stuck, even tough I now know why I don't know how to get out.

Steffen Grunewald * * * Merlin cluster admin (http://pandora.aei.mpg.de)
Albert-Einstein-Institut (MPI Gravitationsphysik, http://www.aei.mpg.de)
       Science Park Golm, Am Mühlenberg 1, 14476 Potsdam, Germany
e-mail: steffen.grunewald(*)aei.mpg.de * +49-331-567-{fon:7233,fax:7298}