resolving problem - why?

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Fri Feb 25 19:44:16 CET 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 07:01:41PM +0100, Daniel.Lentz at t-systems.com wrote:
> hi ya
yippi yeh

> i'm having are (OS) resolving problem?
> no i don't think so.
[1]

> background: i'm using fai without problems... and then ... the update.
> i hav no idea what happend.
>
> when i'm executing "fai-setup" it partially works.
> at the beginning the packages were found, but then comes the failure message with "failure resolving".
> the fai-server is also the debian mirror and other clients can access the repository with "apt-get update"
> the fai-server self can resolv his own hostname.
> why does this failure happens?
> has anyone ideas?

Are you installing a DNS on the client?

My educated guess about what is happening:

 * client works fine
 * client installs packages
 * client installs more packages
 * client installs domain name server,
  * client uses own DNS, which lacks data about it's domain
 * client is unable the install further packages

> greetz
> daniel

 [ (random?) output,  which misses remarks about what it is ]

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1] no comment on 'i don't think so' / 'i think so'