partitioning problem

Henning Sprang henning_fai at gmx.de
Fri Feb 25 12:32:04 CET 2005

Hy,
> [...]
> here are the important parts of my SMALL_IDE:
>
> disk_config hde
> primary  /mnt/win1     preserve1   ro
> primary  /mnt/win2     preserve3   ro
> primary  /mnt/win3     preserve4   ro
> logical  /             70-2000      rw,errors=remount-ro ;-c -j ext3
>
> switching hde4 before hde3 causes a similar error.
> my question is: how do i get FAI to work with that?
> thanks in advance

i think (not sure and not tested and i would not bet on it if data loss is
the risk) the number X in preserveX is not some device number, just a linear
upcounting number in the fai disk config list, so it should work when using
preserve1 preserve2 preserve3...

Interesting question why this number is necessary anyway, as i know i always
have to count a lot of partitions when fiddling with my notebook's disk
config, which has a FAI installation made in the office for work and a home
FAI installation for my private use and experimenting - it would be a lot
easier if just "preserve" would be enough, or if lazyformat wouldn't bear
the risk of formatting just because disk errors and therefore changed
geometry - but on the other hand, i don't have to do the fiddling often
enough that it drove me to look for why it is like that and how to make it
better :)

Henning