FAI 2.9 network boot problems on some machine

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Sat Dec 31 20:29:34 CET 2005

Hi,
I just wanted to upgrade my stable production FAI server to be using
2.9. I made extensive tests on a testing machine, and everything works
very nice there.

But when trying to deploy FAI 2.9 on my production system, I get the
following message at the same install client's command line:

Warning - unable to open initial console
NET: registered protocol family 10
IPv6 routers not present

then the client just reboots (quite fast, took me 3 trials to write down
the errors).

I tested:

- that the exported nfsroot and fai_configdir are mountable from the
network in question
- the the nfsroot is created properly
- that the config is exact the same as on the system where I tested it
successfully before, except the installserver variable
- that no ipfilter rules are in my way
- that, wenn reverting to fai 2.8.4 on the same machine everything works
fine, again with the same config files
- that it even has the exact same effect when packing the nfsroot from the working machine, and extracting it on the new machine

Still, one server serves a nice FAI 2.9 installation, the other doesn't,
but does 2.8.4 still well after downgrading again.

What else could be causing such a situation - anything I can look at?

Henning