Sending DHCP requests .... timed out

Gavin Tran gavintran at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 16:32:32 CET 2005

On 12/28/05, Michael Tautschnig <michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Sorry by being a little bit of unstraight. The reason why my chip is
> > detected as eth1 is I have 2 cards on my client for testing. When I
> > pull the PCI-based card off my machine, the Marvell Yukon is exactly
> > recognized as eth0. Even if I use just 1 that on-board Marvell, I
> > still face with the same problem.
> >
> What about setting fixed IPs in your kernel command line? You should then at
> least get a bit further...
>
> BTW.: Does this card only fail during FAI setup or did you never try a "normal"
> setup using CD/DVD?

Yeah, exactly what you said. This card is also fail when I setup
Debian system with CD/DVD, even when I tried the lastest Debian
installer CD etch (using 2.6.12 kernel).
I'll try to set ip to pure-address instead of DHCP and back to you later.

> > By the way ,I'll update to FAI 2.9 to fix some bugs. About updating to
> > FAI 2.9, am I just download all deb package and run dpkg -i for each
> > of that on my FAI 2.8.4 installed machine ? Or I have to do something
> > different.
> >
> Thomas? I haven't tried that yet...

I've tried it and somehow it pull out some errors of not being able to install.
# dpkg -i fai-client_2.9_all.deb
(Reading database ... 118305 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking fai-client (from fai-client_2.9_all.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing fai-client_2.9_all.deb (--install):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/fai/check_status', which is also in package fai
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
 fai-client_2.9_all.deb