Sending DHCP requests .... timed out

Gavin Tran gavintran at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 14:42:46 CET 2005

On 12/27/05, Michael Tautschnig <michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > When I booted a client , it got kernel from install server, and pour
> > out sonething like this :

> > sk98lin: Network Driver Device v8.28.13
> > (C) Copyright 1999-2005 Marvell (R)
> > eth1: Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000BaseT-Adapter
> >      PrefPort: A RlmtMode: Check Link State
> > forcedeth.c : Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver Version 0.29
> > .
> > .
> > .
> > Sending DHCP Requests ..........timed out !
> > IP-Config: Reopening network devices

> > As suggested before, I disabled FireWire in BIOS.
> >
> > Could you tell me what version of kernel and Marvell Yukon Driver you
> > used to install those machines.
> >

> I tried using 2.6.11.11 and (I think) 2.6.8 and they worked like a charm; but so
> do they for you - as seen above, your chip is detected as eth1 - and most
> probably that's the problem. So this is just what
> is about. You need to specify the interface in your kernel boot options in the
> PXE configuration.

Sorry by being a little bit of unstraight. The reason why my chip is
detected as eth1 is I have 2 cards on my client for testing. When I
pull the PCI-based card off my machine, the Marvell Yukon is exactly
recognized as eth0. Even if I use just 1 that on-board Marvell, I
still face with the same problem.

For the PCI-based ethercard, I have to use the ROM from etherboot to
get it boot from network.

By the way ,I'll update to FAI 2.9 to fix some bugs. About updating to
FAI 2.9, am I just download all deb package and run dpkg -i for each
of that on my FAI 2.8.4 installed machine ? Or I have to do something
different.

Thank for your help,

Gavin