GRUB menu.lst incorrect when using a /boot partition

malk at sidehack.sat.gweep.net malk at sidehack.sat.gweep.net
Tue Aug 16 03:32:07 CEST 2005

Hey Thomas-

I recently built an FAI server based on the 2.8.4, 25 May 2005 release
and noticed when I partition with a boot parition, it seems FAI still
builds the grub menu.lst w/ references to the root filesystem instead
of the /boot filesystem.  i.e.  my partitioning looks like this:

# generic disk configuration for one small disk
# disk size from 500Mb up to what you can buy today
#

disk_config disk2
primary  /boot         100         rw,errors=remount-ro ; -j ext3
primary  swap          2048        rw
primary  /             10-         rw,errors=remount-ro ; -m 0 -j ext3

In my menu.lst, I end up with entries like this:
   title    Debian ...
   root     (hd1,2)
   kernel   /vmlinuz-2.4.31-686 root=/dev/sdb3 ro
   initrd   /initrd.img-2.4.31-686

When the "root" specification above should be:

   root     (hd1,0)

If I didn't have a /boot partition in my disk_config above, I'm guessing
it would have made the menu.lst correctly.  I had to boot from floppy
to fix the grub menu to end up w/ a working system.  No biggie, but
thought I should report this.

By the way -- the message "Congratulations, no errors found" at the
end of the FAI is nice to see -- this is the first FAI release I've
used where I haven't had to tweek anything to get all of the shell
logs to show no "errors" even though the errors in my case were
beneign.  Nice job on a nice clean FAI release -- no "heartburn" messages
to worry about when it runs so smooth like this.

--
Eric Malkowski