FAIwiki - proposal for an other License but Creative Commons - was: Re: FAIwiki Copyrights

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Tue Aug 9 08:10:28 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 19:02 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Monday 08 August 2005 16:55, Henning Sprang wrote:
> > But in the end, the copyright page is
> > a wiki page, you can change it yourself (which leads to the question
> if
> > these copyright remarks have any value at all in the wiki).
>
> But this page is (like all the others) managed by a version control
> system, so
> we can revert those changes ?! (If not all involved people agree on
> the
> change...)

I knew that the wiki has a history. But you cannot just revert the
change. If now you realize somebody changed the license 2 months ago,
that means everybody who wrote to the wiki in the meantime, released his
content under the new license.
You must either ask the old editors if for them the change of the
license is O.K. or the editors of the last two months if reverting to
the old license is O.K. for them. And, as the wiki doesn't enforce
having an email adress fom each editor ( you can leave this empty), it's
not easy to ask everybody if he's allright with the changes. Plus, in
case somebody is not O.K. with any of both possibilities, you'll have to
find out his changes and remove them, which is not a funny task at all.

I think locking for this page is the only viable solution.

Henning