Diskconfig with RAID and LVM

Tuan A. Tran tuantran167 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 16:25:40 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I am a newbie in unix cluster as well as debian. My lab has a cluster.
The main server has RAID. There are 8 disks. The control card has a
bios. When it boots, I have an option to build a raid array (volume,
RAID0 (stripe), RAID5 or RAID10(stripes of mirror)). However, some of
these options (RAID5 and RAID10) were not regconized by Debian sarge
kernel (I think the kernel version is 2.6.9-k8). I got an image CD
build on Feb, 2005 for AMD64. Furthermore, Debian sees it as a single
SCSI. If at boot I build more than a single array, Debian would see
defferently. Since I am a newbie, I would like to have your opinions.
Should I do one of the following and which one is the best option?

1) Install Debian and let Debian kernel control the raid on all 8 disks.
2) At boot, using software make 4 arrays, then install debian and let
debian make an raid arrays from 4 scsi "disks"

If you have better idea, I would really appreciate your telling me. A
concrete example would be great.

Cheers,
Tuan