Boot Server != Root Server

Robin Schroeder robin at tp4.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Apr 14 09:08:19 CEST 2005

Anders Jackson schrieb:
> ons 2005-04-13 klockan 15:00 +0200 skrev Robin Schroeder:

>>>Ja, aber das muss nicht dem FAI-, sondern dem DHCP-Server gesagt werden, d.h.
>>>dieser muss das in den DHCP-Optionen mitliefern. Alternativ kann es auch über
>>>die pxelinux-Konfiguration mitgeteilt werden (/boot/fai/pxelinux.cfg/...)
>>
>>Danke erstmal für die schnellen Antworten! :-)
>

> *removed somthing I didn't understod much about*
>
> I wouldn't mind if you guys took this in English.  I would guess that
[...]

I'm sorry.

Short description of my problem:
How to initialize a FAI installation from an already available DHCP
server, but use another server for providing the nfs root?

There are several solutions for my problem:

1. (my favourite solution)
Use the option "next-server [IP];" in dhcpd.conf
The FAI client will then try to open a tftp connection with the
"next-server" which is our FAI server.

2.
Use the command
     fai-chboot -k "nfsroot=192.168.1.111:/export/nfsroot"
and substitute the IP address with the FAI server IP. This will modify
the pxelinux.cfg so the FAI install kernel tries to mount the nfs root
from another server.

3.
Modify the option line in dhcpd.conf:
     option root-path
"/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,acregmin=1800,acregmax=1800,acdirmin=1800,acdirmax=1800";
with
     option root-path
"[IP]:/usr/lib/fai/nfsroot,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,acregmin=1800,acregmax=1800,acdirmin=1800,acdirmax=1800";
The result should be the same as solution 2.

Okay, that's it.

Greetings from Bochum/Germany
Robin Schröder

--