broken FAI install

Travis Griggs tgriggs at key.net
Wed Sep 22 19:18:43 CEST 2004

On Sep 22, 2004, at 9:21, Thomas Lange wrote:

> <tgriggs at key.net> said:
>
>     > in there, a change was made that makes it so the CD install
> won't work
>     > on hard drives bigger than 32G. If I use the jumper to limit the
> 40G
> IMHO this is a BIOS bug or maybe grub can't handle it. But I'm sure,
> it's not a
>  FAI bug!

We've gathered some more data.

We've found that it is only the Maxtor 40G Hard drives that cause the
problems with the newer installs. AND that its only on the newer
motherboards we switched up to. So basically, all combinations work
except for the following:

A newer build of our faibootcd + 40G Maxtor Fireball 3's (smaller
Maxtors are fine) + Mobo Intel S875WP1-E

The install seems to work fine. The drive can be mounted with a rescue
disk and all looks well. But when we try to bootup from grub OR
transfer control to a kernel from grub booted from the CD, it just
hangs.

I fully recognize that this is quite probably not a FAI bug. I guess at
this point, I'm simply hoping that people who do FAI installations have
lots of low level hardware experience, and might give me some clue as
to what to look at to ice this problem. Thanks for ANY hints you can
give.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist