TFTP Timeout

malk at sidehack.sat.gweep.net malk at sidehack.sat.gweep.net
Wed Oct 27 16:43:04 CEST 2004

>From everything I've read, it seems it's possible the machine
trying to pxeboot might not be contacting the right box for
tftp.  Is your tftp server also your DHCP server?  The pxeboot
box will contact the dhcp server to tftp the file down provided
the DHCP server has provided the pxelinux.0 file in the DHCP
offer/ack.  (maybe theres a DHCP option you could use to
direct the client to a different tftp server, but in my
setup I just let my dhcp server also handle tftp)

Also -- make sure /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny doesn't
inhibit anything when tftp is called from inetd w/ tcpd
(tcp wrappers)

I also find it helpful when you sniff with ethereal and watch
for the TFTP read request and any negative responses from the
TFTP server.  If you only see a TFTP read request and no
response or an ICMP port unreachable, then even though your
tftp seems to work w/ Geert's local tests below, it still
doesn't work over the network.  Might be worthwhile doing
Geert's tests w/ two separate boxes to make sure it's really
working.

Sorry you haven't been able to figure this out.

-Eric Malkowski