TFTP Timeout

malk at sidehack.sat.gweep.net malk at sidehack.sat.gweep.net
Sat Oct 23 18:24:31 CEST 2004

Are you using a TFTP server that supports TSIZE ?? This assumes you're using
pxelinux from H. Peter Anvin's syslinux project.

Stock debian TFTP server doesn't support TSIZE (sarge anyway).

Grab tftp-hpa from http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/network/tftp

and build and install it -- in my situation I needed to modify
/etc/inetd.conf so tftpd would get run as root instead of nobody --
no worries as tftp-hpa takes care of ditching root capabilities when
appropriate but it initially needs to run as root when forked from inetd.

You can confirm you have TSIZE issues by looking at /var/log/daemon.log
and you'll see tftpd complaining about not supporting TSIZE when pxe
tries to grab the kernel.

Best of luck,

-Eric Malkowski