fai-setup hangs

Paul English tallpaul at speakeasy.org
Thu Oct 14 21:41:36 CEST 2004

Hi,
	I'm having some trouble with the fai-setup stage of the install. I
have been following fai-guide.html off the website to install fai on a
stable (woody) server and to install woody clients as well.

So far, all of the steps have been smooth and I'm up to step 2.3 and type
"fai-setup" which seems fairly successful and then just hangs. I realize
that it is supposed to take a while to create the nfs root, but I left
this running for 2 days with no change. I killed it and tried again with
the same result (some slightly different errors, since it already created
the fai user, etc).

You can see the output here:
http://www.kluge.net/~tallpaul/fai-errors.txt

Incidentally, is there any change that the whole FAI setup process could
be automated and simplified? Obviously there is a big incentive to move to
FAI because of all the time and effort that is saved down the line. But
that is offset somewhat by the amount of work it takes to set up FAI
itself. I have to install 6 fresh new Debian systems, and I have already
spent at least 8 hours setting up FAI, and I'm only on step 2.3.

There could be a "quick and easy setup" option which assumes a dedicated
install server (or just has a blurb saying what it may affect on a
non-dedicated machine) and has a script with menu choices for everything.
The script could install it's own dedicated web server for the repository,
create the debian mirror and set up the nfs root, all completely
automatically, prompting only for "which debian mirror would you like to
use?" and "which version of debian do you want to set up?"  Just a
suggestion of course.

Thanks for FAI! It is going to make my life a lot easier!

Paul