fcopy problem

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Fri Nov 26 11:53:38 CET 2004

Hi,

I'd like to add some exclusion rules for logcheck, and put them into
/etc/logcheck/ignore.d.server/ subdirectories. I also added file-modes
files (with root logcheck 0640 in them).
The problem I can see is that within /usr/sbin/fcopy, the name2num
subroutine does not properly return the gid for group logcheck because
in the install system there isn't such a group - although it should
better look in the target system. The result is that the file
permissions are set, the owner (root) is set, but the group pertains to
be root too, so logcheck won't be able to access the file, causing the
exclusion to fail.
Of course, a simple workaround would be to set the permissions to 644,
and ignore the group settings - but I could imagine that under certain
circumstances this feature might be more important (SSL web server etc.)

The "getpwnam"/"getgrnam" calls should work in the target environment
instead of the install env...

Any ideas?

Cheers,

 Steffen