8MB

Henning Glawe glaweh at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon Nov 15 10:23:49 CET 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 03:36:44PM +0100, Harald Gröne wrote:
> In the FAI user guide it says, that 8MB on the clients is enough for FAI
> installation. I just started  a FAI bootdisk on an 486, but It crashes during
> kernel boot. Do I have to build a custom kernel to get it work?

Maybe try the 'tiny' kernel patchset available from
http://www.selenic.com/tiny/
according to the claims of its author, a kernel patched with this can be run
with 4 megs of memory.
If you build a custom FAI kernel: take out all the network card drivers you
know you won't need; this will save a lot of memory.

--
c u
henning