SCSI vs. IDE detection

Andrew Pollock andrew-fai at andrew.net.au
Thu Mar 25 23:21:14 CET 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 03:47:41PM -0500, Justin Beckley wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have just gotten started with FAI.  We are going to be using to
> install many different types of machines.  Some of these machines have
> SCSI drives and some have IDE only.  Right now I have an installation
> that works for one type of drives, but not the other.  I can easily
> change which type of drive it is and that fixes the problem, but that is
> a hassle.  I would like to know if anyone has found a good way to let
> the system decide if it is SCSI or IDE, and based on that decision
> figure out which drives to partition?

Assuming you always want to partition the first (SCSI or IDE) disk, you can
have a script run (ala a modified version of the diskdetect one that comes
with FAI), and this sets a class, SCSI or IDE, depending on the type of
disks detected (God help you if you've got a mixture) and then you can have
two class-specific partition files in your disk_config directory.

Hope this helps.

regards

Andrew