FAI problem

John McInnes john at dissension.net
Thu Mar 11 06:12:49 CET 2004

Hi,

Using the 2.4 documentation on the FAI web site, I mostly have a
working FAI install. Mostly.

I have set up a DHCP server, written my fai.conf,
created a partial woody mirror, done a fai-setup, used
make-fai-bootfloppy and booted an install client, it is even
obvious that /sbin/rcS_fai is getting executed.

The problem would seem that the nfs-root is getting mounted read-only.

Going through the various scripts this would seem to be by design, but
all of the commands that are executed on the client seem to fail
with various 'Read-only file system' errors.

Various pieces of information that the install process expects to find
in /tmp/ for example aren't created because of the read-only
filesystem.

Also, this means that /proc and /tmp don't get mounted, which I
assume is the problem.

Another clue could be that everything in the chroot is owned by the
'fai' user, but this user doesn't exist on the install client.

There are alot of scripts/etc that are in FAI, and I haven't got my head
around what they all do yet. I assume that some magic between when the
install client boots and when FAI starts isn't happening.

Can anyone give me any pointers?

Thanks,
  - John

John McInnes                             - Email: johnm at dissension.net