Revision controlled configurations.

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Mon Mar 8 19:39:50 CET 2004

Hello!

While looking how to enable FAI to use subversion as a revision control
backend, I got somewhat confused by following command sequence from the
get_fai_cvs() function:

        export FAI_CONFIG_AREA=$FAI
        export FAI=/tmp/$(basename $FAI_CONFIG_AREA)
	[ "$debug" ] && echo "\$FAI now points to $FAI"
	if [ -d "$FAI_CONFIG_AREA" ] ; then
	   echo "Config found at $FAI_CONFIG_AREA: Copying"
	   cp -a $FAI_CONFIG_AREA $FAI
	fi

This effectively intermixes a (clients) local config area with the revision
controlled config area. What is this good for? IMHO, a revision controlled
configuration should be exactly what it is intended to be: revision
controlled. Intermixing it with non-revision-controlled configuration
options seems to be a BadThing(TM) to me.

Could someone please help to clarify my confusion?

--
-- Josef Wolf -- jw at raven.inka.de --