Problems with setup_harddisks

Brian Sutherland jinty at web.de
Sun Jul 25 17:08:17 CEST 2004

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 07:30:35PM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:
>     > I think that the problem is that sfdisk(v3.07) doesn't like to
>     > be called without an destination disk parameter when there are no
>     > ide hard disks...
> No, that's not the problem. I tested it with vmware and only a SCSI
> disk. Work perfectly. I think it's an old version of 06hwdetect that
> does not load the correct SCSI kernel driver, so not SCSI disk is
> detected at all. Use the newest FAI version with the new 06hwdetect
> script.

The modules were loaded by a discover-modules which I used in
01alias, but the new 06hwdetect removes the need for
that. Thanks.

Still, I have the same problem. And I need the same patch to
complete an install. Could it be something to do with the cd-rom
which is at /dev/hda?

Logging on with ssh when the installation stops shows that:

-- The modules are loaded
# lsmod |grep Bus
BusLogic               78428   0  (unused)
scsi_mod               85348   3  [sr_mod sd_mod BusLogic]

--sfdisk fails without drive parameter
# sfdisk -g -q

--sfdisk succeeds with drive parameter
# sfdisk -g -q /dev/sda
/dev/sda: 783 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track

--sfdisk fails again
# sfdisk -g -q

--setup_harddisks fails
# setup_harddisks
FAI: setup harddisks V0.29fai
TEST ONLY - no real formating

Disks found:
sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature

ERROR: no config file for setup_harddisk found. Please check you
classes and files in disk_config.

--
Brian Sutherland

"There has got to be more to life than just being really,
really, really, ridiculously good-looking." -- Derek Zoolander