beta version of next fai release available

Fri Jul 9 16:38:48 CEST 2004

Hi folks,

on http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/download/developers there's
the new beata version of the next fai release available. Please have a
look at it and reports major problems within one week. Also send me an
email, if an important patch was not applied to it. In the next days I
will fixe the fai guide, and then I plan to release it in one or two
weeks.

Here are the most important news:

    - make FAI ready-to-use for sarge
    - make the examples much easier, remove a lot of unused stuff
    - fai.conf is split into two files, make-fai-nfsroot specific
      variables are moved to /etc/fai/make-fai-nfsroot.conf
    - make-fai-nfsroot: more packages for hardware detection included,
      write a warning if $FAI_SOURCES_LIST is used
    - rcS_fai: if a file /.nocolorlogo exists, do not enable colored
      logo and let scroll region unchanged
    - 06hwdetect.source: new call of discover2, includes now code of
      11modules.source
    - task_sysinfo: show serial numbers of hard disks, show usb
      information
    - fai-chboot with PXE can now use localboot, so we need not copy
      the kernel image and initrd to the install server, new option -d
    - grub-install does not probe floppy drive (which can hang the system
      for a long time)
    - mkdebmirror: mirrors now woody and sarge in one directory